An archive for eating out pleasures.

Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Frangipani

Frangipani - SB Road, Pune

Frangipani is a little joint off Senapati Bapat Road, very near the Symbiosis campus. They have a varied menu which is usually a good thing, but in this case I think its a case of trying to please everyone. Punjabi, Italian, continental .. without offering a big choice in either .. makes it a tad odd. Maybe its because with a name like Frangipani, I did’nt expect them to offer any Punjabi cuisine. The menu is structured in a very innovative way though. They quote a price at the top of the page - and all the dishes listed on that page cost the same. I found its a lot easier than the normal method. (yes - I do watch the price).

On to the food. The appetizers are good and promising. They have tried to make a fusion of tastes .. and it works out well in most cases. The kebabs are average, the punjabi main course slightly above. What people seem to like - is the pasta. They have totally made a desi version of pasta with a lot of masala added on.. and honestly I didn’t like it much. Haven’t tried all that is offered though. But looks like it works for most people. The desserts are good and worth a try. Now heres the kicker. I had the absolute best dal-tadka at this place. Bar none. Its been years since I had any dal this good, and I hope its how they always serve it, rather than being a one time thing.

Overall I rather like the place. The food is good and the general satisfaction of dining is high. Though I suspect it may be because I enjoyed a rather memorable meal with delectable company there, which because of a power failure ended up being a nice candle-lit one.

Food: **** Ambiance: **** Price: $$
Last visited: mid-2007

No comments: