An archive for eating out pleasures.

Monday, July 30, 2007

George Restaurant

George Restaurant - East St, Pune

Ever since I was a kid .. the sight of chicken roasting at the rotisserie inside George Restaurant in Camp always made me want to visit it. I think so once we even ate there .. and I was surprised to find that I didn't really care for the roasted chicken. That was a long time back.

George Restaurant is probably one of the oldest standing restaurants in Pune .. definitely pre-independence .. and they changed the decor probably a decade back. Anyways .. its one of the better dressed Irani joints in the city. [Though I confess the experience at these Irani places wont be as enjoyable without their typical 'look']. But what George lacks in ambience .. it makes up in food. The place is always busy .. always a good sign .. and the service is fast.

So Today George stands for a quick, filling meal .. necessarily non-veg and decidedly including tandoori chicken, chicken biryani and caramel custard. [I know .. biryani ~ mutton .. but you get better mutton biryani elsewhere in Pune]. The tandoori chicken is always good, the caramel custard .. depends from day to day .. but its worth a shot and people swear by its rotisserie chicken. The sizzlers are supposed to be great too.

Food: *** Ambiance: ** Price: $$
Last visited: mid-2007

No comments: